Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Hooray for Hollywood Week

Finally, after four weeks of auditions, we've arrived at Hollywood Week. Unfortunately, they compressed one of the more interesting portions of the season into just one hour--but more on that in a minute.

Some random thoughts first:
Unfortunately, the show started out with the woman I'd already given the nickname "The Great Jewish Hope" being eliminated immediately--although I think there may be another contender for this title that I need to study more before revealing. I thought Jory was good, but what do I know? She cerrtainly was better than Perla (a.k.a. Shakira Junior), but Ms. Meneses got through to the second round before rightfully being eliminated. (And by singing that same Shakira song that she also sang in the auditions--which saved her after the first song she sang at her audition wasn't good enough. Couldn't they tell at that point she was a one-trick pony?)

Then there was Baylie "Commercial with a Capital C" Brown. She's very cute, and has a better voice than I remember from the auditions. But--maybe because I'm not a big country music fan--I found her singing (what we saw of it when she wasn't forgetting her words) very boring. So I wasn't particularly upset to see her go. I will say though, that the threesome of her, Antonella and her friend was perhaps the most attractive group of women we've ever seen during Hollywood Week perform together. Only one is left, but I'll just say that if Antonella performs in short skirts every week, she's going to be getting a lot of votes from males around the country.

Glad to see Chris Sligh made it, and the beat box guy seems fairly entertaining as well. I was sad to see "Fidel" go and the Indian guy's sister (sorry, I don't remember her name.) And did you catch Robyn Troup being eliminated? I didn't recognize her, but I did recognize her name--she was the girl chosen to perform with Justin Timberlake at the Grammys in that ridiculous American Idol ripoff/waste of time Sunday night. (We spent 10 minutes on that, but the Police only did one song?) As a consolation, I guess it is good that the Grammys is recognizing that American Idol is one of the best things the recording industry has going for it right now--although that's better shown by honoring Carrie Underwood (And she actually thanked Idol!) with the best new artist trophy than it was by some silly stunt.

So tomorrow we have what is the strangest use of an hour all season during American Idol. We'll spend the better part of an hour watching the 40 remaining contestants take an elevator, sit in a chair and hear the judges tell them if they made to the final 24.Maybe we'll see some highlights from the auditions. Then we'll see some people cry from joy and others from sadness and anger. Why couldn't we have seen another half hour from Hollywood Week (like those final performances than Ryan promoted but we never saw) and then stuff this section into a half hour? I have no idea. Of course, I'm still going to watch--after all, the final 24 will be revealed--so as usual, I guess the American Idol producers don't care what I think.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home