Wednesday, March 05, 2008

OK, I'm coming around on Carly

The "American Idol" ladies were certainly better this week than last, but after watching the last two nights, it's the opposite of last year--the men, as a whole, seem to be significantly better than the women. One significant factor: It does seem that more of the men are willing to mix it up, change song arrangements and take risks than the ladies, who for the most part come out and just sing the song like it was sung originally. So on a night when the judge name-dropping spiraled so completely out of control that we may need a one-hour special so that Randy and Paula can outline what records and videos they worked on and Paula grip on her sanity seem to get a little bit looser, let's get to the show.

Asia'h Epperson (I Wanna Dance With Somebody)--So Simon tells Asia'h last week that she shouldn't choose such big songs, and she goes ahead and chooses a Whitney Houston song. Granted, it's not one of Whitney's most difficult songs to sing, but it's still got some vocal gymnastics. I thought Asia'h did a pretty good job, but I am a little worried for her future on the show if she keeps singing these "big" songs, as Simon puts it. I like Asia'h's voice because it's sort of different, with a little bit of a raspiness or hoarseness. But that kind of voice doesn't seem like the right kind of voice to sing big, belt it out songs. She totally flubbed that high note last week (maybe it was her being sick, but who knows?), and I just wonder if that could happen again if she keeps shooting for the stars, especially this early in the competition.

Kady Malloy (Who Wants to Live Forever?)--The second contestant of the night to disregard Simon's advice. When Ryan said Kady would be singing Queen, I was hoping it was one of their more fun songs. After all, Simon did urge her to show more of her personality. Instead, she sings a really slow Queen song and doesn't show any particular personality or flair. She sang it OK, but nothing special, and then Kady revealed that she didn't even know what Simon's criticism meant. Oh, well. Kady, he just meant look like you're having some fun on stage, be a little playful and young. But why am I bothering to explain? She's not reading this blog, and she likely won't be singing on Idol again next week.

Amanda Overmyer (Hate Myself for Loving You)--So Amanda's most embarrassing moment wasn't having nude pictures of herself released on the Internet during her appearance on American Idol. What a great country America is! Anyway, this song was right in Amanda's wheelhouse--as a former Nationals baseball announcer used to say--and she hit it a long way. Very well done, but I do wonder how many other songs are in her wheelhouse, and whether everyone will tire of that wheelhouse in a few weeks.

Carly Smithson (Drove All Night)--I've been tough on Carly the last couple weeks, but I really liked her tonight. Voice sounded great, she looked the best she has all competition, and she had this really imposing, kick-ass stage presence that I really liked. She had this look and body language which seemed to say, "If anyone else tries to come on this stage, I'll punch them in the face"--or something like that. As for Simon's comments that this wasn't as good as the Celine Dion version, I don't really know the Celine Dion version. I know the 80s version by Cyndi Lauper. And speaking of Cyndi Lauper, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" would have been a great song for Kady Malloy to sing tonight. Kady, if you're out there, I'm willing to manage your career.

Kristy Lee Cook (Faithfully)--Kristy did listen to Simon and incorporate a country twang into her performance. It still seemed to surprise Randy, but we didn't need more evidence that Randy barely pays attention. As for Paula and Randy thinking that it could be a hit country record--maybe, but not with Kristy singing it. She wasn't bad, but she wasn't particularly good--it was that dreaded "forgettable." As for Kristy's comment that finishing in the top 10 was "OK with me," that's fine to say when you're eliminated, but don't say that's your ultimate goal. I'd hope you'd want to win.

Ramiele Malubay (Against All Odds)--When I think about top vocalists in recent times, Phil Collins doesn't come to mind. And yet, whenever someone else sings this song--whether it's an Idol contestant or Ann Reinking at the Oscars--they always seem to run into trouble. Actually, Ramiele, after a really rough beginning, finished strong in the more belty second half of the tune. While she should make the final 12, I just don't see her going very far.

Brooke White (Love Is a Battlefield)--Finally one of the women rearranges a song, and it's successful, too. I think Brooke has got to be considered a darkhorse--her voice may not have anywhere near the power of Carly, but she knows what songs to use it on and rarely hits a wrong note. I enjoyed it.

Syesha Mercado (Saving All My Love for You)--They were running out of time, which is why the judges' comments were so curt. Maybe if Paula hadn't spent so much time babbling about yogurt, Syesha wouldn't have been shortchanged.But Simon did sum it up pretty succinctly--"good, but forgettable." Competent, but nothing surprising or special. Interesting, though, that she was in the pimp spot tonight. Do the producers see something in her that I don't?

Who's going home? I think Kady Malloy is an obvious first choice. Second choice could be just about anybody except Brooke and Carly (and maybe Asia'h), but I'll say Kristy Lee Cook. Fingerhut out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Kady and Kristy need to go. I didn't care for Brooke either. The girls were better last night but not as good as the guys. My favorite is Ayesha--has been since the first time I saw her.

3/6/08, 12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, another excellent blog. I won't even try to go toe-to-toe.

Paula was back to slurry-goofy. But I did find all three judges more enjoyable than usual.

Asia'h: well, she's cuter than heck, but I think you're right. She keeps trying these bigger numbers when she could really kill on much more reserved songs. Oh well, maybe it's the cheerleader in her. I voted for her, though, as I wanna show my love.

Kady: well, I do love Queen's version of this. Kady sounded okay but it was a bit dull. Sad, then, that our courtship may be ending this way. But like any relationship, both people need to show some energy and she just doesn't when she's singing. Sigh...as kind of a farewell, I voted for her twice. Once for what we had and once for the road.

Amanda: I really enjoyed it. Loved the your repeated use of "wheelhouse" but certainly she can find twelve more appropriate rockers to do to carry her through the finals? I voted for her once.

Carly: I agree that she was better. I guess I don't like being forcefed anything. I wonder what her mom thinks of her tatoo and that her husband has a face tatoo? I refused to vote for her, cuz someone has to go. As for your comment about her guarding the stage and being ready to punch someone in the face, the Irish are very protective of their territory, lad.

Kristy Lee Cook: better than her previous. I love dogs and I love Journey...wait, that's Randy's line. Anyway, I voted for her. She may end up being my rebound girl after Kady packs her bags.

Ramiele: she was fine. She is a pretty girl with a nice voice. I think she needs to do something memorable or put her stamp on something soon and she may get lost in the shuffle. I voted for her, Ryan's short legs comment and all. And what was with Ryan pumping her about what that song means to her? Oh, and Danny Noriega hamming it up in the glasses was either too weird or hilarious. I can't decide.

Brooke White: I liked it and was relieved when she didn't do it just as Benatar recorded it. I voted for her. I also like that we've completely dropped the whole "she's an angel" schtick and that she basically just sings.

Syesha: she was fine. I didn't vote for her...I don't think. I don't know. I get in a voting cycle.

Who do I think is leaving? Um, Kady I guess and...Syesha? I don't know.

3/6/08, 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you. The guys are better as a whole than the girls. It is refreshing. And yes, I think that we are all tired of the ad nauseum name dropping from Paula and Randy. Yes we know that between the two of you, you have worked with everyone, and yes, journey rules. Enough already!!

Asia'h-Her performance was just good. I think that she really needs to step up her game if she wants to continue in the competition.

Kady-Once again, I agree with you. Queen has other songs that might have worked better for her.
For that matter, there was a decade of music to choose from. Why do so many contestants choose the slow, moody songs? I don't think that Kady will be around next week. 2 bad weeks in a row should spell her dismissal.

Amanada-This week was really good, and I did enjoy her performance. Even with a good week under her belt, I still hear the horrible performance from last week. Did you notice that she tamed the Elvira factor down. She will be around next week, so we will see which Amanda shows up.

Carly-I really like her. Previous career or whatever, I think that she is so right for this competition. Once again, I was not familiar with the song that she sang, but she had me hooked. She is a performer, and a good one. Hope she goes a long way.

Kristy Lee-Faithfully is a really good song that she did an OK job with. I personally don't agree with Paula and Randy on that hit comment. I really don't see her having any real hits ever. She just isn't good enough.

Ramiele-Exactly what you said. Next.

Brooke-Once again, what you said with the exception that I don't consider her a darkhorse. Maybe because I am a huge Carly Simon/Carole King fan. Hope Brooke goes very far.

Syesha-Enough Whitney already. None of the girls on the show do her justice. Move on to something that you can handle better. And I think Whitney is a clown, but she sure can sing. Now, Syesha did an OK job, but nothing really fantastic. I am sure that the judges or Ryan will say something about cutting her short on the results show. I wish that all of the comments were that succint.

I say bye, bye, bye to Kady and Kristy Lee.

3/6/08, 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maverick money makers -
meet your sweet -
muscle gaining secrets -
muscle gain truth -
natural cancer treatments -
niche review templates -
nyhms warcraft guides -
pappa pc -
pc booster -
pc optimizer pro -
pc secret formula -
pda flix -
privacy control -
publicrecordspro -
public records pro -
push button ecover -
reg defense -
reg genie -
registry easy -
registry genius -
registry smart -
registry winner -
registry winner download -
reverse mobile -
richard mackenzie direct -
rocket japanese -
rotator cuff training -
save my marriage today -
secrets book -
silent sales machine -
silver lotto -
spyware cease -
super affiliate handbook -
the 11 forgotten laws -

4/22/10, 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super seduction power -
surefire trading challenge -
tattoo me now -
the bad breath report -
thedietsolutionprogram -
the diet solution program -
the dog food conspiracy -
the mini site formula -
tmj help -
tonsil stones remedies -
truth about abs -
twitter trick -
vincedelmontefitness -
vince del monte fitness -
warp speed fat loss -
wedding speech 4u -
win clear -
xbox 360 red light fix -
xp repair pro -
500 love making tips -
acid alkaline diet -
advanced defrag -
alpha male system -
amazing cover letters -
anti spyware -
anti spyware bot -
article rewriter -
art of approaching -
auto cash system -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
bv cures -
calling men -
camera dollars -

4/22/10, 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home