Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Can't anyone sing a verse?

We began tonight with Paula saying that the guys last night were "fantastic." I wish I had been as drunk last night as she obviously was. At least, for the second consecutive night, Ryan did not use the "most talented ... ever" B.S. He'll probably pull that back out when we get to the final 12, though, so I shouldn't get too excited. Anyway, just like last night, a mixed bag.

Carly Smithson (Crazy for You)--This was a lot better than last week for Carly, and I was impressed by the clarity and power of her voice. But she still doesn't do a lot for me, and is it just me, or does she usually look like she isn't having much fun when singing--with all those pained and strained and funny faces. Oh, and those tattoos are gross.

Syesha Mercado (Me and Mr. Jones)--I liked the baby crying impression she did. But Randy was correct about the singing--the verses were too quiet and boring. But I did like when she belted out the chorus. Maybe she can find a song that's all chorus.

Brooke White (You're So Vain)-- After her taped piece, I was hoping she'd sing "Beauty School Dropout." No such luck. But since she kind of looks like Carly Simon and kind of sounds like Carly Simon (with a much weaker voice), this was a great choice and totally worked for her. While her voice may be one of the least powerful in the competition, she's very pleasant to listen to--and that might keep her around for a while.

Ramiele Malubay (Don't Leave Me This Way)--Ramiele picked one of those Idol standards--this song must have been done three or four times, I think--and didn't make her rendition one to remember. And showing us those Filipino dance moves just brought back memories of Sanjaya's hula last year for me. Paula says her vocals are "truly amazing" (but not last night), but I think the jury's still out on that.

Kristy Lee Cook (You're No Good)--Not bad, but nothing special. Interesting that Simon told her she might want to try country and ten seconds later she was telling Ryan she was going to sing country next week. I hope the theme isn't disco or something. (Actually, I'd presume it will be 80s. I had to think long and hard about that one.)

Amanda Overmyer (Carry On My Wayward Son)--This wasn't very good at all. Those low notes at the beginning of the song were rough, and while the chorus was better, it was still off for most of the song. One other note: Remember Randy's comment about how she needs to stick to "bluesy rock." If she's around three weeks from now, I'm sure we can count on Randy telling her she needs to switch it up and try something different.

Alaina Whitaker (Hopelessly Devoted to You)--Another singer who had a rough time on the verse at the beginning, but came on in the chorus. When she started belting the climax of the song, she was good. Why were so many people tonight having a similar problem?

Alexandrea Lushington (If You Leave Me Now)--Simon said this song was old-fashioned, but I was less concerned with that then the fact that Alexandrea seemed to really be straining to hit those notes (and not quite hitting them) at the beginning of the performance. It didn't sound good to me, although none of the judges seemed to mention it.

Kady Malloy (Magic Man)--It's too bad Kady hasn't had a theme where she could sing a Britney song. Maybe she should have done Britney's version of Satisfaction last week. Anyway, another singer with a very rough time on the quieter early verse who opened it up and improved on the chorus. Unfortunately, she didn't turn up a video of her singing in front of Fantasia, so she might be in danger.

Asia'h Epperson (All By Myself)--I know someone mentioned she was sick, but she just totally muffed that note on the first "All by myself" line and also couldn't seem to get the first verse in tune. It did improve as it went along, but she didn't do anything to threaten Latoya London's rendition of this song as the ultimate performance of that tune on Idol. But she did look fabulous. And Simon's line about how Ryan knows his limitations? Perhaps the best line of the season.

Who's going home? This one's very tought. I'm going to have to say Kady Malloy is in big trouble, although I hope not because she's hot and funny. As for the other one, I'm going to guess and say it will be Amanda Overmyer, but I have no idea.

Fingerhut out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

probably Kady Malloy and the first chick that went...cannot even remember anything about her. Amanda will stay b/c she is so different and attracts a different type. Pretty boring show last night...i am ready for the top 12 already.

2/28/08, 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, tonight was naturally a letdown. Nothing can compete with a Paula Abdul crying jag.

Carly: she didn't seem to be as least as a revolting person this week as she was in the past. Perhaps I look at everything differently when someone is pouring a Guiness.

Yes: I thought that she was okay. For me, this has always been a "mood" sort of song, so I don't know why it would be chosen for a singing competition. Still, she was good enough and she's cute.

Brooke: everything about this was pleasant. You wouldn't want her leading the Sex Pistols, but for what she does, she's good at it.

Ramiele: I do think that she sings really well. I like this song and I thought she was cute to boot! I voted for her.

Kristy: I thought she was solid and didn't do wacky things with her eyes this time.

Amanda: first off, Randy was right about this song having too many instrumental breaks. Second off, she wasn't very good.

Alaina: I love this song, she did a great job with it, and I like her in general. One vote from me!

Alexandrea: not bad but she seemed to have a nervous breakdown at the end and afterwards. The whole "underdog" thing was just odd, too.

Kady: all of these posts will seem so silly after we're married. But I thought that she was okay, was relieved that she didn't fall down those stairs, and I voted for her.

Asia'h: talk about getting a free pass. She blew the first big note. I mean, like a skater going into a jump, she just pulled up and didn't do the note. In the end, she was fine and she was FINE, if you know what I'm saying. And I think that you do!

Going home tonight: Alexandrea and Amanda.

2/28/08, 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adware alert -
adware bot -
affiliate prophet -
affiliate video brander -
anti spyware -
art of approaching -
atomic blogging -
auction classified cash -
automated cash formula -
bbq book -
bloggers pay check -
blogging in action -
body building revealed -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
cheat your way thin -
chopper tattoo -
cleanup the profits -
cold sore freedom in 3 days -
commission blueprint -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure for bruxism -
declutter fast -
driver checker -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy member pro -
easy tv soft -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
fap turbo -
fatburningfurnace -

4/22/10, 2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reverse mobile -
richard mackenzie direct -
rocket japanese -
rotator cuff training -
satellite tv pc master -
secrets book -
spy no more -
spyware cease -
survey scout -
the bad breath report -
thedietsolutionprogram -
the diet solution program -
the guru assassin -
the power pause -
tmj help -
tonsil stones remedies -
turbulence training -
two minute profits -
vincedelmontefitness -
vince del monte fitness -
warp speed fat loss -
web traffic machines -
wedding speech 4u -
wind plans -
xp repair pro -
your fun business -
zygor guides -
500 love making tips -
acid alkaline diet -
acne no more -
advanced defrag -
anti spyware bot -
art of approaching -
banish tinnitus -

4/22/10, 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home