Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Can we please get to Hollywood?

I think I wrote a post with this exact title, or some variation of it, around this time last year. We've reached that time, after three weeks of audition shows, that I'm ready to get to the next round--and I think most AI fans probably agree with me. But because these are, other than the final show of the season, usually the highest rated shows of the year, Fox gives us a full month of them. And I guess there's nothing I can do except keep my blog entries short as a way to show my ennui. (I'm not even sure if I'm using that word properly, but it just seemed right in this case.)

Once again, I will praise the producers this year for giving us a few more good singers than they have in past year. Unfortunately, it seems that has also led to what appears to be a nicer Simon this year. Tonight, satisfyingly, it seemed mean Simon had returned, with such comments as "it sounds like you're eating [when you're singing]," "most people don't know what they're talking about [when it comes to judging singing]," and "I would like you if I was drunk" (which was my favorite).

Otherwise, I like the boy band toward rocker guy (had a nice sounding voice) and really liked Brittany, the second of the two, um, big women that auditioned together.
And while that Jasmine Trias flashback was kind of random (she's really got a successful career in the Phillipines? Is she the Hasselhoff of that nation?), I did enjoy the auditioner who aspires to be like her--she's got an impressively big voice, no matter how tall or short she is.

My favorite moment of the night, though, was the girl from American Juniors (which, I promise, I never watched) saying that she was upset because instead of auditioning for Idol, she could have sung at a Red Sox game. Those Boston fans are blessed--a World Series, an undefeated season for the Patriots and they get to miss out on her singing.

Labels: