Thursday, March 09, 2006

It could have been a better Final 12

Going into tonight, we were looking at possibly the deepest, most wide-open final 12 in American Idol history. It's still wide open, but not as deep as it could have been after tonight's results show.

Kinnik Sky and Will Makar were good choices at the lowest vote-getters, but seeing Ayla Brown and Gedeon McKinney go was very disappointing. Not because my predictions were wrong, but because both were clearly better than people that survived, namely Melissa McGhee and Kevin Covais. I guess Kevin's "fans" rallied around him after his bottom three finish last week (or that whole "vote for the worst" movement is picking up steam), and the strangeness of Gedeon just didn't draw people in. As for Ayla, she was one of the best singers last week, but she wasn't at her best this week and people really do judge from week to week. (Then again, it's not like Melissa was all that special...) I still like that song Ayla did--Simon is right that it wasn't a good song for her or American Idol, but I maintain it is a really good song--and after Ryan was able to talk Ayla off the ledge, I thought she performed it even better tonight. But apparently she's got a basketball scholarship waiting for her at Boston College, so she'll be all right. And I was a little confused when she started talking about how she learned what was important. Did she mean she realized singing and performing is important, or did she realize that was the wrong choice and she should have picked basketball, or what?

So we could have seen a final 12 where it would have been really difficult to figure out who would be going home in the early weeks--unlike the past couple years, when people like Leah Labelle, Lindsay Cardinale and Matt Rogers were obviously going to go home first. But with Kevin and Melissa still in the competition (as well as Bucky), it will probably be pretty easy to call. Oh well, I think it still should be an interesting couple months.

Almost as upsetting as tonight's voting results was watching "The O.C." afterwards. How did that show get so bad? Other than Julie Cooper as Sharon Stone, the hot tub scene at the beginning, and the too brief appearances of Taylor Townsend, that show was incredibly boring. And a couple of other questions: Why can't Johnny's mom pay the mortgage all of a sudden? Did Johnny's funeral cost so much that she can't afford the house? Was Johnny bringing in lots of money with some afterschool job? Was she counting on Johnny's surfing income to help out?

And Volchok--why is he back on the show? This character did not seem to have any redeeming virtues--why do we want to see him again? And have him pursuing Marissa? And Marissa seemingly not uninterested? What are they thinking? It looks like this show is just going to get worse.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. Kevin should have gone but I like Melissa's voice and she should stay. The only reason why Kevin stayed is because of the way he looks--"Chicken Little"-haha!

3/10/06, 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I on the right page? I thought I saw a comment about something other than AI on that last post...

3/11/06, 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have a confession to make (it's the Catholic in me): I voted for Bucky the other night. It was a move I made for two reasons: I thought that he was good enough but also vulnerable to being voted off. I actually was silly enought to think that Kevin was a definite goner but that there was a chance that Will would be kept on and Bucky booted off. I never thought Gedeon would be axed.

3/13/06, 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that Kevin made it. He gets a chance to show what he can do.

And you are right to vote for Bucky. He is good.

I don't watch OC.

3/13/06, 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like there's a second John now?! Welcome. I'll put John L. from now on.

3/14/06, 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. I use your name to post yesterday. It was a mistake.

3/14/06, 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home