Thursday, March 02, 2006

Once again, America did a good job

No surprises tonight on Idol--I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I got three out of the four eliminated correct, and said that Brenna should go home (I just figured she had a little more fan support, but I guess a completely unappealing personality only gets you so far.) And apparently Brenna is delusional. Does she really think she's going to be making an album with Clive Davis? Hey, Brenna, did you enjoy the Sarah Mather album? Are you eagerly anticipating the Judd Harris album? Geez, Diana DeGarmo finished second, and I think she was sucked into a black hole for all the times I've seen her since the end of the third season.

It was nice to see Carrie Underwood I suppose, though that song is nothing special. The most interesting thing about it its overtly religious theme, considering it is the first single from an American Idol winner. But she's sold 2 million albums and I believe the album has pretty much been in the top 10 since it came out in November, so I guess it didn't matter.

As for that rendition of "Love the One You're With," the less said the better. But it did remind me of the time I got to hear Stephen Stills sing that song live somewhere on the Hofstra University campus. It was 1992, and I was working on a congressional campaign on Long Island and my candidate and two other Democratic candidates were supposed to come to Hofstra for a "Rock the Vote" event outside with Stills. Of course, it was 35 degrees and snowing that afternoon, he was more than an hour late--when he got there he spent some time talking about how his limo driver was really stupid--and while he knew one of the candidates personally, he gave my candidate and the third candidate the ringing endorsement of "Phil and Steve are new guys, and we need new guys." But the best part was when he said, "The Clinton campaign doesn't like it when I sing this song, but I don't care" and then launched into "Love the One You're With."

Fingerhut out!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenna's reaction was great. And as far as Sarah Mather and Judd Harris, I'm squinting with my brain and cannot remember anything about either one of them. Heck, what ever happened to Mario Vasquez?

I'd never heard that Carrie Underwood song before, and I thought it was good. Though she mentions Jesus by name, I'm not sure I'd consider it an overtly religious song. Did you consider Kyrie by Mr. Mister too religious, too? How about Jesus is Just Alright or Jesus Walks?

3/3/06, 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric, I love the banter between you and John. I don't understand half of what you're talking about but I love it just the same!

3/5/06, 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Brenna was pretty funny. She should have stayed.

I think Carrie is the best American Idol. Kelly was good too. Diana was pretty good too.

3/7/06, 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home