Thursday, March 16, 2006

A surprising bottom three

So I'm sure just about everyone was a little surprised to see Ace and Lisa in tonight's bottom three, and there were certainly other people that deserve to go home before them (Ahem, Kevin...) But would it really have mattered if they had gotten booted. But as a former co-worker said when Vanessa Olivarez was eliminated in season two before some more deserving candidates, "It's not like she was going to win."

Yeah, we keep hearing Ace is a favorite, but other than his first performance of "Father Figure" in the semifinals (which was still nothing memorable), he hasn't had a good vocal performance yet. He's a good look in search of a strong voice--it reminds me of that Brady Bunch episode where they want Greg to front the band because "he fits the suit." OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh (Ace isn't bad, he's just unremarkable), but he can only surf the waves created by Paula's drool so long. Going first last night, most people probably forgot about him by the time the two-hour show was over and they had seen a bunch of good singers at the end. I'm sure his fans will probably rally to save him for a couple weeks, but tonight's results--and Tuesday night's performance--demonstrate that he's not a favorite anymore, and Americans like their Idols with more than just a pretty face.

As for Lisa Tucker, her appearance in the bottom three didn't surprise me after I read the blog of a USA Today music writer today about the show. He had gone through his comments (remember, you can leave a comment for me, and it's free--and maybe I'll mention you in a future post!)and summed up the prevailing attitude about each of the singers. His entry for Lisa was something along the lines of "nobody has really said anything about Lisa." She may have a great voice, but she just doesn't connect with the audience. (I guess lots of other people also find her mechanical, seemingly older-than-her-age movements off-putting as well.) She may not be around much longer, unless she can really do something special.

But if Kevin Covais wasn't going to go tonight, the next best choice was Melissa McGhee. Not only was her last name causing too much confusion with Katharine McPhee, but she was pretty mediocre last night, forgot the words, and shouldn't have beaten out Ayla Brown for a spot in the Top 12 anyway. I was really disappointed that they cut off her final performance and we didn't get to see if she messed up the lyrics again, but there's nothing I can do about there. (There's probably somebody on a message board somewhere who was at the show and will post about it, but I don't think it's worth my time.)

I did just want to say one more thing about the American Idol producers--you have Stevie Wonder perform a song live, and then, as people are still giving him an ovation five seconds after his performance, you have to introduce the cast of the new sitcom "The Loop."? Show some respect, please.

Fingerhut out!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was disappointed that Kevin survived. I mean, I don't care, but I did prefer Melissa to him.

Strangely enough, I had a dream last night that I was with a group of people, trying to re-tile a kitchen floor, and Kellie Pickler was one of my gang. Not sure what that means...though it is less disturbing than my recurring dream where I'm eating chili in a sauna with Reuben Studdard.

3/20/06, 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you joking about Ruben! And you're wrong to dream like that about Kellie.

Tonight will be good.

3/21/06, 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home