Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Stones and Idol--not a good combo

So unless I get some loud, emotional outcry from my readers, I've decided to stop regularly blogging American Idol. When I started doing Idol, the Internet was still growing and there wasn't that much Idol commentary out there. Now, there are about 8,000 people blogging Idol and I'm not sure I'm offering anything that unique. But I did have a couple thoughts about last night's show.

First of all, while the show wasn't terrible last night, it was mostly mediocre. Part of the reason is that many of the singers this year aren't very good. But the other reason, I think, is that while it sounds really cool to have the Rolling Stones as a theme, it's not really a good selection. Why? Because Mick Jagger has such a unique style as a singer and performer, anyone who tries to duplicate it is going to fail. In addition, many of the Stones songs, vocally, work because of how Mick sells them. In this group, the only singers that had enough talent to really be up to singing and selling a Stones song were Siobhan and Crystal.

Most troubing part of the night was, of course, seeing that many of the people who advanced last week over better singers didn't do much to show that their advancement was well deserved. Lacey Brown? Really, she's Idol season 1 or 2 talent with that thin voice and general boringness to her performance (Is boringness a word?) Katie Wheeler has been done wrong by the judges, and wasn't awful, but off key early in the song and just kind of meh. To her credit, Paige at least did show some vocal talent tonight--more than she has shown for the three previous weeks--but it was hardly something anyone is downloading to their IPod today. And Tim Urban? I reacted with the same confusion that the judges did (and Simon was pretty much correct on just about everybody last night, although Kara had a point on Gimme Shelter.) How do you sing a song about having a woman under your thumb in a breezy, what-me-worry reggae-type arrangement. It really was strange--and didn't show that Tim could sing since he sung-spoke most of the song.

Finally, I hope those of you who would be interested in this saw that in one of the family photos Didi showed there was a lit menorah in the background.

Who's going home? Bottom three will hopefully be Lacey, Tim and Katie and I think Lacey will go. But after last week, who knows?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Kredo said...

If you stop blogging, I'll kill myself. Don't play games - I'll do it.

3/17/10, 4:33 PM  
Blogger Eric Fingerhut said...

I thought you had given up on watching the show after last week's fiasco.

3/17/10, 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Kredo said...

Yeah, about that... As you predicted, I was back in front of my HDTV to watch Siobhan - who's super sexy - and get my weekly dose of Simon scratching at his hairy tits.

3/18/10, 3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Jewish facts related to American idol need verifying, I hope you'll blog about them. Otherwise I think Jewish fact world needs you more than Idol.

Oat

3/19/10, 3:32 PM  
Anonymous john said...

Well, I hope that you don't stop blogging about American Idol but I couldn't blame you if you did. For me (apologies to Randy Jackson), watching the show has become a bit of a chore, though reading your posts have always been fun.

3/23/10, 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Door Hangers said...

Hey good content posting. Really very good readable content. I share to your blog to my twitter. By regards Print Management Software

12/10/11, 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home