Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Oh, no, country next week!

I'm not sure what upset me more tonight--the fact that Katharine McPhee was in the bottom two tonight, or that Ryan told us next Tuesday was country night. I guess the latter, since Katharine survived but the hour of country is still out there looming, waiting to disturb us all next Tuesday. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but country never seems to go all that well on this show. And while I'm not blanket opposed to country--I do own a Dixie Chicks album and have a Garth Brooks tape somewhere--it's just not my cup of tea. (To paraphrase the comedian Andy Kindler, it's not my cup of tea, but it doesn't make me hate tea.)

As for tonight's show, Lisa and Ace belonged on stage tonight, but Katharine's appearance was disappointing. Sure, she wasn't at her best last night, but there were certainly others that were worse, and, um, come on people, she's really hot. At least she tried a challenging song but didn't succeed fully--other people last night chose non-challenging songs and didn't really succeed.

Fortunately the right person went home, and now Lisa can go off to Broadway or something. Paris cried, and I imagine she's upset because, at 17, she still has to go to school even though she's on the show, and her two schoolmates, Kevin and Lisa, are now gone. But I'm sure she'll survive.

One other note: I did think that it was interesting to see Shakira and Wyclef Jean (who, by the way, is Howard Dean's favorite musical artist, which may or may not be a selling point) perform on tonight's show--even though they hadn't helped the singers on Tuesday night or had any other affiliation with the show. It seems that the music industry is now realizing that American Idol can help them sell records--there is no other show that's going to deliver 30 million people consistently every week. And it actually provides some added entertainment to the results show, which lasts a half-hour but, realistically, could actually be a two-minute segment between other shows, considering the amount of information provided compared to the amount of time-killing. So it's a win-win situation for everybody--even if Simon might have called that Shakira-Wyclef Jean performance "a big mess."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home